Monday, September 25, 2017

We started Tuesday off with an another earthquake...

This week was a pretty good week in Boca del Rio, Veracruz Mexico. Well what happened this week? Not a lot to be honest. 

We started Tuesday off with an another earthquake. It was pretty strong down here in Veracruz, and got me a little sick.  But other than that, it didn't do much. It just cracked a few buildings here in Veracruz, but nothing like Mexico DF.  I didn't know it was too bad until I went to talk to our Leader Misional and he told us that it just ruined Mexico. (First thought, "what happened to Ammon? Is he in Mexico City or stuck in a random part of Mexico with a bunch of other gringos que no saben español?  Or is he in Utah cuz nobody can land in mexico? Or is he in Oregon and will leave another day?"  All I knew what that he probably didn't make it to Mexico. But other than that, I didn't know anything! jaja. Hood to hear that he's safe). 

The earthquake that hit Mexico DF was the most destructive one in like 36 years. And it was as strong as the one last week, however it was more destructive because it started in the heart of the DF. It was pretty sad to hear about it because there was also a school that collapsed with a bunch of niños in it that couldn't escape. Its also cool to see how Mexico came together really, really quick to try and help los demás. I saw the news like 3 hours after that and the whole city had come together to try and save the people that were stuck in the rubble. 

Two days later we had another earthquake that was really strong.  It caused some damage and death in Oaxaca, so that's not good. Other than that, there hasn't been any other weird weather events that have happened (well, other than a huge thunder storm that was literally shaking my house for a whole night, but that was more cool than anything). 

Just a funny story that I would like to share that happened today in the morning. So it was like 1:24 in the morning and I hear my companion and he is screaming. So I think pasu mecha its another earthquake, so I just stay there but my bed's not moving so he screams again and I sit up and I ask him, "Dude what the heck are you doing?"   He turns on the light and says, "Hey--there's someone in the house."   And I said,  "What are you talking about?"   He says,  "Just look at the window!"   I look and there's nobody.   He says, "Dude, look at the fans--just look!"   So I just start laughing and I said,  'Elder, there's nothing, and I really don't understand anything right now."  He says,  "Well I had a bad dream last night..."   And I say, "Well what happened?"   He replies, "No just forget about it.  Go to sleep",  and just keeps repeating that. 

So I go back to sleep and I wake up in the morning and ask my companion,  "Dude, what the heck?  Why did you wake me up at 1 in the morning? And why'd you turn on the dumb light?" Hahaha   He tells me, "Umm I didn't wake you up, and I didn't turn the light on last night."  I then start asking him if he even remembers any of this and he tells me that I'm lying and nothing of this happened. So I finally came to the conclusion and started laughing really, really hard and said, "Elder you were hardcore sleep talking and sleep walking last night and you were going crazy and it was so so so funny!" jajaja   It was so incredibly funny--just the whole entire experience. 

Other than that, we had another zone conference, and it was pretty dang good. I actually participated a lot for some reason (which was new).   But it was really really good. Like always, Hermana Palmer killed her part in the conference with another great talk. She talked about the sacrifices that the first members of the church made, and a lot of them gave there lives for there faith. And I made the comment that, 'Well yes, they have movies and thanks to them we have the chance to be here. And I said "sorry to say it, but I don't believe we will ever get a movie made about us.  However, we are doing the same thing as them but with different details. We have all left our houses, friends, families, and have all traveled to a foreign land that we didn't know about. We are all suffering with this wonderful Veracruz heat and sun. And the thing is, these are all the same things that they had to do in there time. They have written their stories and have sealed it in history, and the whole world will know about them. Now its our time to make our sacrifice, and write our own history. The world won't know about the things we do, but the people that we will help and have helped, will always remember us. Their kids and grand kids and many generations will be thanking you for the sacrifice you made to help them, just like we have given thanks for the sacrifice of the pioneers." 

And it made me think--to be honest I don't believe that I have any Mormon pioneer ancestors, so I'm not cool like that.  But I got some pretty cool pioneers in my life that I think are a lot cooler. 

For us kids we got Grandma Sara, and to be honest Mom.  And we also have Grandpa on the side of Dad who is a convert. And that's the cool part. We all have "pioneers" in our lives, and to a certain point we are all pioneers in one way or another. We are all making sacrifices to live the Gospel, and we do it because we love God and we know He will bless us if we follow His commandments and cumplir con nuestros convenios (That just wasn't translating in my mind and I don't know the translation). But we all have the chance to make just as big of a difference in the lives of others like the first members of the Church made for all of us. We are just as important as they were in these days, and we are all making the sacrifices they made (but with different details). 

To those who have not yet made the decision to participate in the blessings of the Restored Gospel--I invite you all to go and try for yourselves. Don't let the opinions of others get in the way of your eternal happiness. Go and see for yourself if the things (the message that I am trying to bring to Veracruz) are true. Listen to the missionaries. Do the things they invite you to do.  Read the Book of Mormon, and actually think on the message that it brings. And Pray with a humble heart if the things you have read in the book are true. Its is literally one of the simplest things in life, but it brings wonderful blessings. Wonderful feelings of love, peace, harmony, the feeling of God fills your life. Just do it don't ask questions until after you have done it. And I promise you that you all will get the answer that I have received.  And then follow the answer that you receive and not throw it to the side. I invite all of you to do this. And I'm inviting you with all the love in my heart and inviting you all to do it not to say that I'm right.  No--I'm doing it out of the love that I have for all of you. 

That's all I got this week.   Hope all is well with everyone and everyone is safe and sound. Love you all and hope for the best this week. 

You are all in my prayers (how lucky).

"Church is true go be awesome"-Anne Bagley










No comments:

Post a Comment